Mark GustavsonCharles Ives once wrote “Sound is only 10% of music.” I would like Mark Gustavson is Sounding to probe my musical path—the other 90% that is not sound.




Honors, Commissions & Awards

  • BMI
  • Illinois Arts Council Grant
  • Aaron Copland Fund for Music
  • Alice M. Ditson Fund
  • American Academy of Arts and Letters
  • Bearns Prize
  • First Music
  • Fromm Foundation
  • Serge Koussevitzky Music Foundation
  • Fulbright Fellowship
  • Leonard Bernstein Fellowship from Tanglewood

I am a composer, teach at universities and perform in and around New York City.

Critical Acclaim
…new and substantial…Mark Gustavson’s ‘Fool’s Journey’ acted out the iconography of tarot cards…
-New York Times

…the form was ingenious.
-Boston Globe

Precisely this balance and contrast of intimacy and wildness, of contemplation and sweeping gestures, of mystery and forcefulness, gives a sense of vision and completeness to this rich work.
-Piano Quarterly

But the brief intricate second movement showed the strong potential of the composer…
-Chicago Sun Times

…an adroitly constructed compendium of tantalizing rhythmic variations.
-Chicago Tribune

Visit markgustavson.com for information about his music, including audio samples.

Skip to top


Leave a Reply